Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Carbon fiber air scoop

I've always wanted to try and fab something out of carbon fiber and I finally had a chance. I needed to come up with a good way to feed the engine cold, clean air as the stock Suzuki intake ducts for the airbox are blocked by the firewall in the LeGrand chassis. I used residential foam insulation as a mold and shaped the the foam to the shape I wanted.

From there I covered the shape in packing tape to act as a mold release. I than laid up sheets of carbon fiber using epoxy resin. For my first try I am pretty happy with the results. I also added an panel air filter originally designed for a '09 STi to the air box for filtration purposes.

The suction nose from the 4 individual throttle bodies is out of this world and your head feels like it will be sucked into the engine since the intake is just above and to the left of the driver's head :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment