Monday, March 8, 2010

Body

Currently I am busting my butt to get the Decker body mounted. Chip Haddock made me a new front body as the previous owner had an off and destroyed the front body to the point where it was easier to just make a new one. While he was at it I also had Chip make me a set of his side pod covers that he made to match the Decker body work.

I've mounted the side pod covers using aircraft grade machine screws and rivet nuts as well as aluminum sheets. I extended the mounting sheets outward from the side pod covers 1". I'm hoping that this will grab some clean air from the side and provide additional downforce to the sides of the chassis. It may not look like it but, it took me nearly 6 hours to mount the covers and fabricate the mounting sheets!






I am currently working on mounting the front body work. So far I've got the side portions of the front body work mounted. I used (4) dzus fasteners per side. These are really cool as I went with a 7/16" big head oval fasteners that are anodized black, which should look killer with the paint scheme I have planned. You can just see the fasteners on the side of the panel (the 4 black circles). I fabricated a mounting plate for each fastener using a 1.25"x1.25" aluminum right angle bar. The fasteners grab a small spring that I riveted to the angle bar and holds the body nice and tight.





Here are some overall photos of the front body along with the beginnings of the front diffuser that I am frabricating out of 1/4" birch plywood:






I've finally decided on a livery for the body as well. I'm going with the McLaren M20 from 1976 of orange and black, which Denny Hulme and Bruce McLaren campaigned during the 1976 Cam Am series. I'm putting my own spin on the livery (don't plan on using the Sunoco blue) put the colors are identical to what McLaren used to paint his cars.

The goal is to have the car ready for the SCCA Philadelphia region's first Solo summer event on March 28th. Still a bunch of work to get done....

No comments:

Post a Comment