Sunday, February 7, 2010

Air scoop fabrication

I've decided to take a stab at a custom air intake scoop for the motor. I plan on grabbing some nice, cold air just to the left of my head between the roll bar tubes, which should provide the engine with gobs of air.

The first step is making a mold from which I can use to make the piece out of fiberglass. To do this I picked up a 4'x8' sheet of polystyrene foam form Lowes (basically the foam insulation used on houses) in 3/4" size. From there I figured out how tall, wide and deep I need the scoop to be and built a brick out of the foam:



From this I will shape the brick down to what I'm after, which will be similar to this:



I plan (or at least am going to try) to make a mold of the top of the intake box as well and mold the new scoop into that as well so that I will have a completely new top section of the intake box made of fiberglass that will have an integrated air scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment