Monday, March 8, 2010

Control arms

While I was aligning the car I found that the rear upper control rod on the right side was bent. It wasn't noticeable to the eye until I took some toe measurements at the right rear and found a deflection of about 1/4".

So I made (with some help of Jim again at JMF who handled the welding duties) new control rods out of 4130 chrome-moly steel and 4130 weld nut adapters. These should be significantly stronger than the original stainless steel rods. I made a new one for the left and right upper side. They are the black rods in the photos. I also used new 4130 chrome-moly heim joints and cadium plated mil spec bolts/nuts/washers.

Eventually I'd like to make new lower ones as well.

Right rear


Left rear

2 comments:

  1. What is the control unit in the lower photo, center right?

    Tom Clayton
    tom@sportsracer.info

    ReplyDelete
  2. After looking at additional photos I was able to figure out that it is for your air shifter.

    ReplyDelete